[asterisk-users] Asterisk scalability

Stephen Davies stephen.l.davies at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 14:56:46 CST 2008

> I'm sure that an Asterisk developer can chime in and give several examples
> of how Asterisk uses its threads to increase scalability. That said, there
> will be a point where the number of core/CPU's won't be the bottleneck so
> adding more won't help anything.

Asterisk is highly multi-threaded and definitely takes advantage of multiple
cores.

There are a few places where concurrency could be further improved, but its
really quite good in 1.4.  (IAX in 1.4 does handle traffic using a thread
pool so will take advantage of multiple cores).

By the way, I have a client with a four-core Xeon box doing SIP to IAX
conversion - that box can handle 1000 concurrent calls.

Steve