[asterisk-users] Asterisk scalability

Carles Pina i Estany carles at pina.cat
Wed Jan 23 14:28:35 CST 2008

Hello,

On Jan/23/2008, Ryan Burke wrote:

> > I wonder how Asterisk scales when we increment the Core's or CPU's of
> > one computer.

> > I see that Asterisk is only one process (I guess that it uses threads).

> Asterisk is one process, but as you mentioned multi-threaded as well.
> Because it is multi-threaded it can run on multiple cores/CPU's at a time.
> I don't know the internals of Asterisk that well so I can't site specific
> examples, but I know that there are some scalability bottlenecks people
> are looking at, specifically with the IAX protocol and how the threads
> send/receive packets.

thanks for information.

To give some more details, is we execute:
ps auxwm

We can see that Asterisk is using quite many threads (33 threads in a
mainly new Asterisk installation)

> I'm sure that an Asterisk developer can chime in and give several examples
> of how Asterisk uses its threads to increase scalability. That said, there
> will be a point where the number of core/CPU's won't be the bottleneck so
> adding more won't help anything.

Yes, I see that it uses threads. I wonder some other data like which is
the limit that core/CPU's are correctly used (or usefull used).

Thanks again Ryan,

--
Carles Pina i Estany		GPG id: 0x8CBDAE64
	http://pinux.info	Manresa - Barcelona