[asterisk-users] Difference between Asterisk and FreeSwitch

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Tue Jan 22 12:55:10 CST 2008

On Tuesday 22 January 2008 11:50:25 love U.all wrote:
> what is the difference between FreeSwitch and Asterisk ,

The main difference in functionality is that FreeSwitch is a voip-switch only.
It does not have any method to interface to the PSTN, other than through
using another host which does have that connectivity, such as an Asterisk-
based host.

> whitch one is more scalable and reliable?

That is going to depend completely on what environment you're deploying it,
what features you're using, etc.  Keep in mind that Asterisk is going into its
third major release cycle, while FreeSwitch is still undergoing public betas
and has not yet had a single general release yet.

Also, note that the installbase, developer base, and userbase are all much
larger, by an exponential factor, for Asterisk than for FreeSwitch, and
Asterisk has a company backing it which is willing to provide commercial
support.  FreeSwitch, as best as I can tell, has no such support structure.

--
Tilghman