[asterisk-users] [Fwd: Re: Large issue - having trouble diagnosing.]

Drew Gibson drew at oanda.com
Tue Jan 22 08:08:39 CST 2008

Hi Cameron,

I think this paragraph goes to the heart of the matter...

Cameron Hissey wrote:
>  are connected to the standard switch, however the cabling was a bit
> of a rush job and consequently the PoE has proven unstable on many of
> the points, with some of them not even supplying data packets.
Benny Amorsen  suggested trying a store-bought cable direct to a phone,
how did that go?

I would have a very close look at the cabling. Were the "R45" plugs put
straight onto the cable or terminated in a wall jack? There are two
types of plug. The one that is most commonly available is not intended
for the solid copper core cable that is most commonly available in bulk
boxes and WILL cause flakey connections.

Check the cables for correct pinout (see link below), not just
continuity. The price of a reasonable cable tester will save you a
fortune here. Nothing fancy but it must be able to check for split
pairs. Split pairs could cause the symptoms you describe.

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/ethernetcables.html

regards,

Drew

--