[asterisk-users] IAX and NAT Transparency

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Mon Jan 21 16:51:42 CST 2008

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008, bilal ghayyad wrote:

> Hi Gordon;
>
> They are able to receive calls? Origination is not a
> problem I know, but what about receiving calls from
> the Asterisk to them?
>
> For example, how I can call the extension 200 that is
> behind NAT? (Assuming that extension 200 is registered
> on the Asterisk).

You pickup another phone and dial 200.

My office phone is a SIP desk-phone (GXP 2000) which is behind a NAT
router, and is an extension on a "virtual" PBX - a server in a co-lo
facility. I have no problems with accepting calls on it. It uses STUN and
there are no special rules on my NAT firewall to make it work.

On my laptop, I use an IAX softphone (IDEFISK), and its "just works" too.
It accepts calls once it's registerd with the same server, or other
servers, some of which are behind NAT firewalls themselves.

Gordon