[asterisk-users] IAX and NAT Transparency

bilal ghayyad bilmar_gh at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 21 16:25:25 CST 2008

Hi Gordon;

They are able to receive calls? Origination is not a
problem I know, but what about receiving calls from
the Asterisk to them?

For example, how I can call the extension 200 that is
behind NAT? (Assuming that extension 200 is registered
on the Asterisk).

Regards
Bilal

---------------

> Hi All;
>
> Did anyone try to use IAX IP Phone behind NAT, and
let
> it receive calls from Asterisk without doing port
> mapping at the router existed at the site where the
> IAX IP Phone existed? Is the need just to let the
IAX
> IP Phone that is NATed to register on the Asterisk
and
> at asterisk I set nat=yes for the IAX client
> configuration?

Yes is the easy answer.

I do this all the time fromn my laptop at
friends/colleagues/other
locations where I get a broadband connection, and
don't ever fiddle
 with
their routers.

> Or it is impossible to let the NATed IAX to receive
> calls without doing a port mapping at the router?

Not impossible at all.

You *may* find that some routers don't like it, but
the majority of
 them
are just fine.

> What about SIP, any luck?

Same again, it "just works". Not router fiddling
required. I visit
 client
sites with a small number of differnet SIP phones -
plug them into
 their
network and let them make calls, and unless they have
weird routers
 with
broken SIP ALGs or strict firewalling, it "just
works".

We've been through this with you recently. Are you not
getting list
emails?

What about google or the VoIP WiKi? There is plenty of
stuff there all
about it. I can easilly make SIP calls from SIP phones
behind a NAT
 router
to an asterisk box behind a different NAT router. It
just works and
 there
is a good page on the VoIP WiKi all about it.

Go read this:

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+SIP+NAT+solutions

(Although I don't think that page is quite correct as
I can make their
 '3'
scenario "just work" ...)

Gordon