[asterisk-users] asterisk-1.2.26.tar.gz Thoughts?

Ira ira at extrasensory.com
Sun Jan 20 12:57:37 CST 2008

At 11:33 PM 1/19/2008, you wrote:
>PC's age and when they age, things tend to go wrong, particularly
>when you upgrade software.  Unusual crashes are usually the first
>sign that something is going wrong.

Well, my experience is they work until they die and that's usually
the PS or HD. In that machine the HD and memory are new and I've
never seen a PS cause a problem like that. If not for the effort of
learning all the stuff I've forgotten and getting new licenses
because the network card is different, I'd just put in a slightly
newer machine sitting on the other side of the office.

>To me, it sounds like you've put the money into many of the right
>areas - segregating your voice and data networks, going with decent
>phones and ensuring your power is reliable so it just seems a little
>strange to go cheap on the actual server.

It's my house, the machine is only 4 years old or so and it was a
decent HP desktop at the time. It's so overkill for my needs it's not
even funny and 4 years is hardly old enough to be worrying about death.

>It sounds like you've been pretty lucky with this machine - not all
>desktop machines are going to be anywhere near that reliable.

Personally, almost every machine I've discarded for myself and
clients has been because they just got too slow. Except for one
client who still runs DOS on Netware 3.12 and his machines usually
get tossed because we can't get AT power supplies any more.  Yes,
they die on occasion but this machine gives no indication there is
any problem with the hardware.

>The big thing that server grade machines give you is better quality
>of parts that have been extensively tested with a range of operating systems.

I'd buy the tested part, but quality of parts at this point I'd
probably argue with.

Ira