[asterisk-users] Calls Being Randomly Bridged

Michael J. Liberatore mike240se at straightandnarrowinc.org
Sun Jan 20 05:19:12 CST 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Fons van
der Beek
Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2008 3:23 AM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] Calls Being Randomly Bridged

Tilghman Lesher schreef:
> On Saturday 19 January 2008 20:32:42 Michael J. Liberatore wrote:
>
>> Hi i have a friend who i setup an asterisk system for at his doctors
>> office.  it has 3 snom 360 phones with 6.2.x stable firmware and
>> latest asterisk 1.4 and zaptel.  They have the digium 4 port fxo
card.

>> They are extremely upset because calls are being randomly bridged for

>> no rhyme or reason.  They say that callers will call in and sometimes

>> get connected with other callers, or they will be in the queue and
>> then be talking to another caller waiting in the queue or on hold.
>> Or they will be talking to a patient and then have another patient
>> end up on the conversation.
>>
>> They are freaking out because of hippa and laws that govern privacy
>> but i have no clue why.  I assume most cases are conference calls
>> being initiated by accident.
>>
>> So any help would be greaat.  maybe just disabling conference calls
>> would be a good start but i dont know how with sip phones.  or maybe
>> this is a bug?  unfortuinately they dont give me much info and i dont

>> use the phones so i dont have any specific logs to show, they just
>> call me freaking out saying this stuff but they rarely can give me a
>> specific call cause they get so many.
>>

> I have seen this exact problem when people park callers directly into
> numbered parking slots, instead of using the auto-distribution system.

> So, for example, the default distribution number is 700, and the
> parking slots are 701-720.  Callers will get bridged if two callers
are assigned to slot 701.
> This could happen even if only one person is doing the wrong thing --
> one person uses 700 (correctly) and caller gets put into 701.  Then
> another person transfers their caller to 701, and they're bridged.
>
> It comes down to a training issue.  And yes, btw, you can use the CDRs

> to track down exactly who is doing the wrong thing.
>

>I had exact the same problem in using the snom 360, it's too easy to
bridge 2 calls, it isn't a bug, it works as designed >but transfering a
call on a 360 isn't as user friendly as it should be, specially when
many calls are incoming.

>I've replaced the snom 360 by a linksys 962 and disabled blind
transfer.
>But be warned.
>When using the 962 and the extra panel train you users using the
numeric keypad when transfering calls, using the extra >>buttonpanel
when transferring calls randomly results in loosing calls.
>Personally i'am still looking for a good station when a lot of incoming
trafic is on a main station.

I think this is the cause too.  I checked the logs for parking to direct
spots and I didn't see any of that going on so I think this is the
likely cause.

I disabled the conference button but I think the problem is with
transfers as you mentioned.  Can anyone think of a way to prevent
connecting two callers with the transfer function?  Either in the phone
or asterisk?  I need to have the ability to transfer, but NEVER connect
two incoming callers, only connect an incoming caller with a different
internal phone.

How do you think 2 outside callers are getting bridged with transfering?

Thanks

Mike

Also to the person asking for more detail logs, I will try to get them,
they can never tell me exactly when this happens only that "it happened
a bunch of times this week"

This E-mail, including any attachments, may be intended solely for
the personal and confidential use of the sender and recipient(s) named
above. This message may include advisory, consultative and/or
deliberative material and, as such, would be privileged and confidential
and not a public document. Pursuant to 42 CFR, any information in this
e-mail identifying a former, present, or potential client of Straight & Narrow is confidential. If you have received this e-mail in error, you must not review, transmit, convert to hard copy, copy, use or disseminate this e-mail or any attachments to it and you must delete this message. You are requested to notify the sender by return e-mail.