[asterisk-users] Calls Being Randomly Bridged

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Sat Jan 19 21:28:27 CST 2008

On Saturday 19 January 2008 20:32:42 Michael J. Liberatore wrote:
> Hi i have a friend who i setup an asterisk system for at his doctors
> office.  it has 3 snom 360 phones with 6.2.x stable firmware and latest
> asterisk 1.4 and zaptel.  They have the digium 4 port fxo card.
>
> They are extremely upset because calls are being randomly bridged for no
> rhyme or reason.  They say that callers will call in and sometimes get
> connected with other callers, or they will be in the queue and then be
> talking to another caller waiting in the queue or on hold.  Or they will
> be talking to a patient and then have another patient end up on the
> conversation.
>
> They are freaking out because of hippa and laws that govern privacy but
> i have no clue why.  I assume most cases are conference calls being
> initiated by accident.
>
> So any help would be greaat.  maybe just disabling conference calls
> would be a good start but i dont know how with sip phones.  or maybe
> this is a bug?  unfortuinately they dont give me much info and i dont
> use the phones so i dont have any specific logs to show, they just call
> me freaking out saying this stuff but they rarely can give me a specific
> call cause they get so many.

I have seen this exact problem when people park callers directly into numbered
parking slots, instead of using the auto-distribution system.  So, for
example, the default distribution number is 700, and the parking slots are
701-720.  Callers will get bridged if two callers are assigned to slot 701.
This could happen even if only one person is doing the wrong thing -- one
person uses 700 (correctly) and caller gets put into 701.  Then another person
transfers their caller to 701, and they're bridged.

It comes down to a training issue.  And yes, btw, you can use the CDRs to
track down exactly who is doing the wrong thing.

--
Tilghman