[asterisk-users] asterisk-1.2.26.tar.gz Thoughts?

Rob Hillis rob at hillis.dyndns.org
Sat Jan 19 20:26:29 CST 2008

I wasn't intending to blame Ira for his own problems - I was intending
to point out that running a production system on discarded hardware is a
really bad idea.

I wasn't even suggesting a mammoth server - as you may or may not have
seen in my subsequent reply to him, the place I work for sells fairly
low-end servers as Asterisk boxes which (at least in Australia) are
comparable to mid to upper-mid range desktops in terms of pricing.  90%
of the serious reliability problems I've seen are on hardware that
people have taken the really cheap route on.

Most people seem to think that Asterisk is a really cheap PBX.  While
Asterisk is certainly /cheaper/ than just about all comparable PBXs, if
it's to be done properly and reliably it's certainly not dirt cheap.
Evaluating Asterisk certainly can be since if it's only a test system,
you can scrounge up some older hardware.  The real mistake is in putting
the older hardware into full production.