[asterisk-users] Nightly tarballs, would you use them?

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Sat Jan 19 05:28:46 CST 2008

On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 11:23:44AM +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
> Russell Bryant wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
> >
> > During the past week, there have been some requests for nightly
> > tarballs to help making testing new Asterisk code easier.  There was
> > some debate as to whether they would be useful.  The reason that they
> > may not be useful is  because you can get equivalent access to new
> > code just by accessing the subversion repository directly.  However,
> > for one reason or another, some people would prefer to have a tarball.
> >
> > If this was available, would you be interested in it?
>
> On occasion, yes.
>
> I think nightly tarballs could be quite useful.  Whilst it's easy to
> check out from subversion directly, a nightly tarball provides a
> specific point of reference which can be helpful when trying to
> identify a problem.

  svn co -r10000  http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/trunk asterisk-r1000
  svn co -r'{2008-01-18}'  http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/trunk asterisk-20080118

(use 'svn update' with the same -r switch in an existing copy, of
course)

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/svn.tour.revs.specifiers.html#svn.tour.revs.dates

> If we had a specific problem we were trying to
> fix, I would very likely grab the latest tarball and try it out.

The latest nightly tarball is not the latest SVN. Some problems may have
been fixed since.

  svn co http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/trunk asterisk-latest

Also, if your timezone is of the US, the nightly tarball may come in the
middle of your work day. Less of an issue for Europeans. More of an
issue for Indians and farther east.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com