[asterisk-users] Nightly tarballs, would you use them?

MatsK mkn0014 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 04:47:18 CST 2008

Per Jessen wrote:
> Russell Bryant wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> During the past week, there have been some requests for nightly
>> tarballs to help making testing new Asterisk code easier.  There was
>> some debate as to whether they would be useful.  The reason that they
>> may not be useful is  because you can get equivalent access to new
>> code just by accessing the subversion repository directly.  However,
>> for one reason or another, some people would prefer to have a tarball.
>>
>> If this was available, would you be interested in it?
>
> On occasion, yes.
>
> I think nightly tarballs could be quite useful.  Whilst it's easy to
> check out from subversion directly, a nightly tarball provides a
> specific point of reference which can be helpful when trying to
> identify a problem.  If we had a specific problem we were trying to
> fix, I would very likely grab the latest tarball and try it out.
>

> /Per Jessen, Zürich

In subversion can you specify what revision you want to check out so it
is equally easy to know what version you want to test.

I can agree that a nightly tarball is a bit more spoon feeding for none
developer people.

And to create a nightly tarball is a script and a cron jobb so the
resources to maintain it should be low.

And for the poll, I would unlikely use the tarball.

/Mats