[asterisk-users] HDLC errors

Hans Witvliet hwit at a-domani.nl
Thu Jan 17 17:25:02 CST 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 15:52 -0800, Steven wrote:
> I'm running Asterisk 1.2.26.1 svn rev 79171 on Trixbox 2.2.  libpri
> 1.2.7 and zaptel 1.2.22.1.  The hardware is a HP dl360 single cpu with a
> TE220B.  The system load is below 0.10.
>
> I moved the server into production, with one PRI, on Friday.  On that
> day we handled a couple thousand calls and I only saw one HDLC abort
> message.  On Saturday half the calls and two abort messages an hour
> apart.  On Sunday, after 1500 when there was only a couple calls, the
> HDLC messages went crazy.
>
> We're getting non-stop Abort messages, with Bad FCS thrown in about
> every tenth message.  They come in bunches, with short 10-30 second
> breaks.  Then every once and awhile there is an 30 minute break,
> sometimes a 3 hour break.  The messages seems completely separate from
> system load.  The system will be idle and get the messages and have no
> messages when I load up dozens of calls on it (using call files to
> complete calls)

> I'm not sure what to try next, other than calling the telco and asking
> them to check their equipment.  Does any one have a suggestion before I
> do that?

Hi Steven

Some quick remarks.

Generally, you would get this kind of messages if either the signal
level is to low, or distorted. The clock-signal for the RX is
regenerated from the RX-signal.

Now-a-days, these lowerlevel protocols are (should be) completely
handeled by the hw of the board (not sure, don't have one here), not by
the system. So system load should be not an issue. Those dl360 are not
capable of hosting much power greedy pci-boards, so i would not suspect
your psu.

You wrote you received before thousand calls without much of a problem.
So although ESD-damage of the board can not entirely ruled out, its
unlikely.

You mention "went into production", Did this imply moving of the system
from a testing room into a server-location? Other (longer) cables?

Perhaps you can check with your telco wether they receive bad frames
coming from you....

hw