[asterisk-users] Digium Part#'s (Was: Difference between TE121 and TE122)

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed Jan 16 13:04:01 CST 2008

Dave Fullerton wrote:

> If you want to know what a card's capabilities are you're better off
> just memorizing each part number. Maybe there's a scheme I'm just not
> capable of understanding here.

We gave up (intentionally) on trying to have model numbers that
reflected all the capabilities of each card, because they would turn
into unintelligible (and unmemorizable) part numbers. We now have 'part
numbers' that represent a given card with the options it was ordered
with (analog module(s), echo canceler, etc.), and we've stopped trying
to use suffixes to indicate bus type and instead just use a different
model number.

This why the TE122 (which replaced the TE120P) no longer has a 'P'
suffix; the PCI-Express version is a different model number entirely.
With that said, for some reason our marketing department decided to
change the *prefix* for PCI-Express analog cards from TDM to AEX, but
they still follow the rest of the model naming scheme (no suffix letter
and no different model numbers that indicate included optional modules).

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Director of Software Technologies