[asterisk-users] G.729 pre-compiled binaries and Asterisk 1.2.x.

Andrew Joakimsen joakimsen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 23:57:13 CST 2008

On Jan 14, 2008 7:50 PM, Steve Totaro <stotaro at totarotechnologies.com> wrote:

> I would argue that it is illegal.  The main definition of illegal is " 1.
> against law: contravening a specific law, especially a criminal law".
> http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_/illegal.html

Illegal means that something violates a criminal law. You linked to a
page that describe the law in the US regarding patentholders
registration of said patents. I'm not saying we should infringe on the
patentholder's right I am simply saying it is not a criminal act, at
least in the US.

> While it may not be against criminal law in the US it can be in France and
> Austria, in the US it is certainly "against a specific law".
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent_law#Law

Software is generally not patentable in the European Union (and
probably in the countries that are pseudo-EU members)

> Anyways, buying the license is the right thing to do unless you live where
> software patent laws are not applicable.

Totally agree.