[asterisk-users] OT - Is handover included in DECT GAP ?

Olivier oza-4h07 at myamail.com
Thu Jan 10 07:40:21 CST 2008

2008/1/10, Anselm Martin Hoffmeister <anselm at hoffmeister-online.de>:

> Am Donnerstag, den 10.01.2008, 12:31 +0100 schrieb Michiel van Baak:
> > On 11:22, Thu 10 Jan 08, Olivier wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Do you if a DECT-GAP (or DECT-CAP) compliant handset MUST or MAY
> support
> > > roaming and handover and are these functions transparent for handset
> (then,
> > > these functions are implemented in DECT base stations) ?
> >
> > Roaming/handover functionality is implemented in DECT-GAP.
> > I dont know if all handsets allow it, but I think they do.
>
> AFAIK "roaming" in the sense of using another than the default base
> station is supported in even the cheapest handsets that are sold as
> "GAP". This does work nicely with different vendors' base stations (as
> it should), although in that case only basic functionality can be
> achieved (like CALLER ID display, Call-on-Hold seems to work) - the
> phone book feature, internal calls to other handsets and base station
> configuration mostly do not work.
>
> I have not yet seen a DECT/GAP phone that supports roaming while a call
> is in progress,

that is what I call handover
roaming = without any ongoing call
handover = with ongoing call

this would need the appropriate logic in the base
> stations. I know such hardware exists ("Kirk"!?),

Kirk base stations support roaming and handover but it's very difficult to
know which handsets, beside Kirk handsets, support such feature as vendor
won't specify if "Kirk base stations don't support Siemens handsets, for
instance, because working feature set is very poor or because we don't want
to care or deal with non-Kirk handsets as we sell our own".

As Michiel said, having those features included in DECT-GAP (shall a
DECT-GAP compliant handset support every feature or some of them ?) might
explain why DECT-GAP compliance is more advertised than those 2 roaming and
handover features (which are never mentioned).

but if not advertised,
> the base stations most certainly do not have this feature.

I'm not certain but cheap handsets can be registered on multiple stations.
Whenever an outgoing call is made, one station is chosen by the handset.
For incoming calls, it's up to PBX (or caller) to call the right base
station.

I expect that