[asterisk-users] OT - Is handover included in DECT GAP ?

Anselm Martin Hoffmeister anselm at hoffmeister-online.de
Thu Jan 10 06:58:16 CST 2008

Am Donnerstag, den 10.01.2008, 12:31 +0100 schrieb Michiel van Baak:
> On 11:22, Thu 10 Jan 08, Olivier wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Do you if a DECT-GAP (or DECT-CAP) compliant handset MUST or MAY support
> > roaming and handover and are these functions transparent for handset (then,
> > these functions are implemented in DECT base stations) ?
>
> Roaming/handover functionality is implemented in DECT-GAP.
> I dont know if all handsets allow it, but I think they do.

AFAIK "roaming" in the sense of using another than the default base
station is supported in even the cheapest handsets that are sold as
"GAP". This does work nicely with different vendors' base stations (as
it should), although in that case only basic functionality can be
achieved (like CALLER ID display, Call-on-Hold seems to work) - the
phone book feature, internal calls to other handsets and base station
configuration mostly do not work.

I have not yet seen a DECT/GAP phone that supports roaming while a call
is in progress, this would need the appropriate logic in the base
stations. I know such hardware exists ("Kirk"!?), but if not advertised,
the base stations most certainly do not have this feature. I expect that
this function requires additional support in the handset as well, so
using those 20$-handsets on your multi-k-$ roaming support base station
will probably not help...

BR
Anselm