[asterisk-users] Zaptel FXS Cards - Station Distance

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Wed Jan 9 09:49:47 CST 2008

On Wednesday 09 January 2008 09:15:08 Tim Nelson wrote:
> Hello! In the near future, I'll be deploying an asterisk system that will
> have (in addition to many SIP handsets) four FXS handsets. Is there a known
> limitation to the length of cabling that can be used between a
> Digium/Openvox/Sangoma FXS card and the end station? I understand the card
> will need a molex power connector plugged in to provide extra voltage. With
> traditional phone systems, I have not seen any distance limitations. I
> would just like to verify that the FXS ports are able to provide sufficient
> power for longer runs. Thank you!!!

There are limitations, even with traditional systems.  It's usually around
1,000 feet, but the basic problem is that DC signalling degrades over
distance.  Incidentally, this is why power lines are provided with AC current.
The TDM cards should be able to provide reliable signalling over the same
distance as traditional telephony lines, as they are sending with the same
power specifications.

--
Tilghman