[asterisk-users] OT - GEOPRIV and location based SIP services

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Fri Jan 4 07:12:25 CST 2008

I must say I don't follow,

On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 07:57:19AM -0500, dave cantera wrote:
> to all,
> I had a similar thought... what I came up with was, not my idea just saw
> it done somewhere else, a small windows binary that was exectued on
> login.

At the client? You assume that this is a soft phone? And not a mobile?
And not a mac? etc.

> registered your login name with a server

Why not use the fact that SIP / IAX clients normally register?

> (content filter in that
> case)... any browser requests were logged for filtering and tracking
> purposes. you could just as well match up the username and hostname to
> an on-site database and know where the person was.

So just require your clients to register with their soft phones to your
service. Then the information about the IP address will be available.
And no external utility needed. Let alone an extra protocol to use it on
the server side.

In eithe case, you lose the immediate "click2dial" effect - you need an
existing client that is set to connect to some specific server before the
call.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com