[asterisk-users] Using Asterisc for Taking Calls for Radio

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Thu Jan 3 22:11:13 CST 2008

On Thursday 03 January 2008 19:36:10 Shane D wrote:
> Hello Asterisc-Users List,

That's Asterisk, with a K.  I do have to say, I've never seen that particular
misspelling before, though.

> I am new to the list. I joined with a question in mind: How would you
> set up an asterisc box so that:
> (A) Someone dials a number
> (B) They are presented with a menu
> (C) Entering a number, like 1, connects a call to me.
> (D) I am on a mixing board, running an internet radio show. I want to
> run asterisc into the board, and run an output from the board to
> asterisc. Is that possible using a soundcard? I don't really want to
> spend money.

Sure, just use chan_alsa (Console driver).

> (E) I want the board to start wringing when I get a call, and I want
> the call audio to the board as well.
>
> I also would like it if I could not use my local phone line. I would
> prefer something like a free internet based number.

You're not going to get a free number connected to the PSTN, although you
could publish a SIP address for no fee.  For a PSTN number, you're going to
need to pay at least a monthly fee; however, it will probably be low.

--
Tilghman