[asterisk-users] Had it with Dell Garbage

Nick Seraphin asterisk at eaglequest.com
Tue Feb 26 15:19:13 CST 2008

I haven't bought from them recently, but I also have bought many servers
and desktop systems from J & N.  I have at least 3 servers they built that
are over 8 years old and still running in production.  I've bought like 8
servers, and a half-dozen desktop systems from them since around 1996 or
1997.  Again, I can't speak for anything recently, but they have been a
legitimate company, reliable, and honest to deal with.  I used to deal
directly with the owner (Jerry Jacobsen) -- now they have a lot more
employees so you're likely better off just dealing with whoever answers
the phone because they're a lot bigger now.  They're definitely not a
fly-by-night company... it should be safe for you to give them a try if
you like what they offer.

Lately I buy Supermicro 1U servers and add my own cpu/ram/hd.  I had a
batch of bad motherboards, but other than that I like the quality so far.
One word of warning... their warranty is stupid.  The warranty starts the
day they sell the product to the reseller/warehouse company... NOT to the
end user.  So if you buy from Tech Data or Newegg and it sits on the shelf
in their warehouse for a month, you only get an 11 month warranty because
the clock starts ticking when it leaves Supermicro's plant.  They consider
Tech Data or Newegg to be their customer, not you.

If it sits in the warehouse for a year, then you get NO WARRANTY.

Based on my dealings with J&N however, I think they would honor the full
warranty even if Supermicro doesn't, if you buy it from J&N.  They're
definitely not perfect (in the early days they were slow to ship, but that
seems to be better now...  and last time I requested a custom quote they
never got back to me) but they won't cheat you and they stand behind what
they sell.  I'd deal with them again if I felt they had what I needed at
the right price (or even reasonably close).

-- Nick