[asterisk-users] load balancing SIP extensions

Yehavi Bourvine +972-8-9489444 YEHAVI at VMS.HUJI.AC.IL
Fri Feb 22 11:44:00 CST 2008

> What I would like to do is have two identical *
> servers which accept registrations of sip extensions
> 4000-4999.
>
> If I define a rrDNS or LinuxHA then I should have
> load-balanced registrations.
>
> However, say ext. 4001 is registered on *1 and 4002 is
> registered on *2, if 4001 tries to call 4002 then I
> would like to do something like:
> - lookup 4002 on *1, try to establish a call if it's
> REGISTERED here
> - if it's not registered here then try to look it up
> on *2 and establish the call there

I've tried doing something similar and came with two options. The common to
them is that I use MySQL for realtime extensions, and set "systemname"
parameter to the IP address of the server where the phone registers.

When a call arrives I check whether the REGSERVER coloumn is the same as the
local server or not. If not, then there are two options:

- Pass the call via IAX to the other servers; this makes both server process
  the call and the audio.

- Send a "refer" message to the caller to contact the other server.

I had this working in the lab but not in production yet. If you want the
dialplan code for this then email me.

                                           __Yehavi: