[asterisk-users] Sangoma FXO EC vs Rhino FXO EC

Michael J. Liberatore mike240se at straightandnarrowinc.org
Wed Feb 20 15:43:03 CST 2008

On Wednesday 20 February 2008 04:50:57 Michael J. Liberatore wrote:
> Thanks for the info, I didn't know they now had 5 year warranties,
> that was one big thing keeping me away cause my last card from them
> broke after 13 months and I was stuck with it and lost lots of money.

> But I think I cant look at digium in this situation because I don't
> believe they have echo cancellation on their fxo cards and in this
> instance it's a requirement.

>For the smaller cards, you can get a free license for a software echo
canceller (HPEC) that >works exactly the same as the hardware echo
canceller.  Or rather, the license is free for >>Digium cards.

I have noticed overall sound quality has increased 10 fold with the
sangoma echo cancellation card but I had never tried hpec with the
digium card.  I did try mg2 after fxotune and spending lots of time
working out the levels and they still are unhappy with the call quality.
I assumed the ocastic chip also did some kind of dsp.  Plus many people
have told me if you want to run a carrier grade system with top quality
you must have echo cancellation on board.  So I have listened.

> Also the card they have now is a digium card (4 port) and they arent
> happy with it, and it's a current model...

>Are you sure they have a TDM410?  That card was only released in late
January.  At the very >least, you should call up Digium support and give
them a chance to get it working.

No I I have the TDM-04B, I was going by voipsupply.com, that's why I
thought I had the latest, they don't have the tdm410.

My issue is mainly that I bought all digium cards previously and have
nothing but nightmares. Multiple cards died for no reason, 2 of them
digium wouldn't warranty cause they were like 13 months old.  Another
two were nothing but complaints about sound quality until I changed over
to sangoma (because the cards started to malfunction, needing hardware
reboots every week or so or they would stop working, also about 15
months old).  So I am a little disheartened with digium as I think you
can understand.  When it comes to phone systems they need to just work,
and work for years, having them break between 6 months to 18 months and
having customers with no phones at all for their business till I can get
the card replaced is not exceptable to them and its costing me tons of
money in free tech support.

Anyways, I am just trying to let you know that I do have a reason for
being disheartened.  But I also have to go by what the customer wants,
if they will not pay for another digium card I will have to get them
rhino or sangoma.  They are not happy after paying for 2 digium cards.
I told them about the new warranty but that just made them more mad, and
I can understand that, they lost over a grand and now it turns out they
offer 5 year warranties but they wont honor it on their card.

Mike

--
Tilghman