[asterisk-users] Asterisk H.248 Support

Julio Arruda jarruda-asterisk at jarruda.com
Sat Feb 16 20:32:09 CST 2008

Chad Whitten wrote:
> Im not looking for a call agent but rather gateway functionality for a
> lab setting to provide dial tone v h.248 to client gateways.

 From what I understand, the Media Gateway (in Megaco world language),
is the 'client' if you will, while the call server/softswitch/call
agent, is the 'inteligence'.
If you have a gateway (either a small one or a trunk one), you would
need yes, a Call Agent.
I found this interesting link that has a summary on this..
http://www.javvin.com/protocolVOIP.html
Who provides the Dial Tone would be, I assume, the gateway, the
"client", either a "line side" one, like the Calix, MG9000 or others, or
a trunk side gateway, like the MG15K in Nortel NGN deployments.
In a Nortel CS2000/CS2Kc NGN, the 'megaco/h248 call agent' would be the
call server itself (actually, the gateway controllers, that translate
from PPVM to H.248, from what I can remember).

You may also want to check if your gateway can't be changed to use
another protocol, since H.248, AFAIK, is not exactly much supported in
the OSS world