[asterisk-users] Asterisk DNS SIP issue

Johansson Olle E oej at edvina.net
Fri Feb 15 04:20:29 CST 2008

15 feb 2008 kl. 07.08 skrev Kevin Kiely:

> The other day my asterisk local SIP clients got hung when my
> provider had a DNS failure.  All registrations went dead (even the
> ones that were IP addresses) and all sip peers went offline.  I know
> this was know problem at one point is there any update on this when
> using a FQDN for one of the peer addresses in sip.conf?

No, Asterisk (like many other pieces of software) is not very good in
handling DNS failures. If you have a local caching DNS server on the
same server, this wouldn't happen.

At some point we need support for asynchronus DNS, meaning that
Asterisk would time out and not hang when there's a lack of answer on
DNS requests.

/O