[asterisk-users] Realtime SIP peers - reloading cached info

Johansson Olle E oej at edvina.net
Wed Feb 13 05:37:53 CST 2008

13 feb 2008 kl. 10.27 skrev Rob Hillis:

> That's why I didn't see anything about the REALTIME function when I
> went looking - many of our production systems are still on later
> versions of 1.2.
>
> Given that it wasn't made obsolete at the beginning of the 1.4
> cycle, I'm hoping Digium reconsider making it obsolete in 1.6 and
> schedule it for removal in 1.8.  Half a development cycle isn't a
> very long time for a warning that a function will be removed.

First, it's not "Digium" - it's the Asterisk developer team. There
still is a difference, not all of us are employed by Digium. My work
is mostly funded by myself nowadays, and some by customers that hires
me as a consultant for various Asterisk projects. I tried to get more
general funding to spend more time with Asterisk development, but
failed.

So please rememner that there are a few independent regular Asterisk
developers out there that is not on the Digium payroll and still take
part in  decisions about Asterisk.

The way it works is that we decide which functions to deprecate during
the development cycle. So any decisions was made before the 1.4
release and stays for the duration of the 1.4 release. We did not
deprecate anything in 1.4 after the initial release late 2006.

The functionality that was marked as "deprecated" in 1.4 will be
removed in 1.6. In fact, it's propably already removed in the
development code that is the base for the future 1.6.

Over a year is a long time for a warning like this, considering that
1.6 won't be out for a while (we're in beta test cycle) it might even
be 1.5 year warning. That should be more than enough for most people -
I hope. Considering that people don't upgrade quickly, it will
propably be more than that for most users (as you are still on 1.2 :-) )

Just wanted to clarify the process, I have no detailed insight into
the realtime functions.

/O

---
* Olle E. Johansson - oej at edvina.net