[asterisk-users] restart asterisk daily

Atis Lezdins atis at iq-labs.net
Wed Feb 13 01:26:20 CST 2008

On 2/13/08, Rilawich Ango <maillisting at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>   I found that there will be a memory leak if asterisk running day by
> day without restart.  Is it good to restart asterisk service daily?
> What is the better way to restart it daily like apache?
> ango

I have cron script that restarts daily by /etc/init.d/asterisk restart
- that way asterisk is completely stopped and then started again. Long
ago, for 1.2 this was helping to reduce crashes on working time.
Anyway - i prefer to restart if i have some inactivity time anyway,
rather than have a small chance that it will crash while lot's of
calls are going trough. So, if you have timeframe when you know for
sure that there won't be any calls, you can restart by initscript.
Otherwise, if you have low call volume in night-time, you may modify
safe_asterisk script to start asterisk anyway (even if it returns ok
exit stats that means shutdown), and then stop asterisk by "stop when
convenient")

Regards,
Atis

--