[asterisk-users] IAX2 trunks unreliable becoming UNREACHABLE after a time

Royce Souther osgnuru at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 13:33:38 CST 2008

I have a network of offices using Asterisk that are connected via IAX2
trunks. The trunks work great for a day or two then for no reason at all one
end of the trunk will become UNREACHABLE while the other end is still
connected. The only way to fix the problem is to shutdown Asterisk completly
then start it backup again. The end that dies is not always the same, some
times it is server A and some times it is server B. Never have I seen that
both ends die, just one. The side that is still connected can make calls to
the end that died but not the other way. If you call from the server with
the dead IAX2 trunk you here "All circuts are busy now." All networks have
static IP addresses and their firewalls are setup to allow UDP 4569 to come
in to the Asterisk systems.

I have been doing a lot of research into this problem. I found this bug
tracker http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=5912 that talks about it being an
old problem with  version 1.2.1 using rand() and it not being thread safe.
This I can understand. The thread proposed using rand_r() or ast_random() in
place of rand(), that sounds like a good idea. So when I look at my newer
1.2.18 version I find that it is still using rand() and the bug tracker
continues to be opened and closed and reopened again and again.

Do I dare ask if anyone has a reliable IAX2 trunk? If so how? Should I avoid
using IAX2 all together? I know SIP trunking is an option but it becomes a
real management problem with trying to deal with all the many ports that
need to be open through the firewalls, IAX2 seems like a better way to go if
only it was reliable.

--
Open Source: To innovate then create
Proprietary: To imitate then litigate