[asterisk-users] Asterisk as XMPP component. How to use it ?

Philippe Sultan philippe.sultan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 16:44:50 CST 2008

Hi Olivier,

> At the opposite, I think it could be useful for an Asterisk server to act as
> XMPP User Activity provider (ie update XEP-0108 field with "on-the-phone"
> value).
>  Do you agree ?

This is indeed a direction we should consider in order to relay call
and device state information to XMPP users. As those kind of messages
are exchanged via PEP (Personal Eventing via Pubsub), we'll have to
implement that too. But still, I'm not sure we can provide this kind
of presence information on behalf of XMPP users if we connect Asterisk
as a component.

On the other hand, by connecting Asterisk as a XMPP client, we could
easily pass call and device state information to that client's buddy
list. The main drawback of that method is that Asterisk needs to be
provided with the user password.

> Is there any XMPP client supporting User Activity ?

I know Psi supports PEP, not sure about User Activity though.

> Is Asterisk capable of getting or sending such User Activity messages ?

No.

Philippe