[asterisk-users] wireless VOIP phone recommendations?

bails bails at westcomuk.com
Tue Feb 5 13:48:31 CST 2008

Michael Graves wrote:
>>> However, in general, none of the true Wi-Fi phones we've tested other
>>> than the Nokia E series have been worth mucking with. Dropping off APs,
>>> poor NAT capability, low battery life, troublesome configurations,
>>> random weirdness -- these seem to abound in the world of wi-fi SIP. This
>>> is why the usual scenario for any sort of office-wide deployment
>>> involves DECT.
>
> My early experiments with wifi handhelds were not good. I might
> reevaluate based on some of the new dual mode phones from Nokia and
> RIM.
>
> Earlier this month I installed a set of the new Snom M3 SIP/DECT
> phones. I have two handsets and one base. While not cheap these are
> far, far better than any wifi phone I've ever used. I'm told that the
> Siemens VOIP capable models are cheaper and also very good .
>
> A full length review of the M3 will appear on www.smallnetbuilder.com
> in a few weeks.

For the record the best sound quality of any wifi/dect phone i've
experienced so far is the humble BT Home Hub with hubphone 1010.

Ok its not exactly wifi, but if you think of it as a dect SIP ATA with
an optional AP (WDS compliant), adsl modem (its optional you can turn it
off) and NAS usb client (it runs samba, again you can turn it off) plus
a firewall/router (IPTABLES)its a great piece of kit.

Also inexpensive, I pay around 10GBP inc p+p for these from ebay.

The only drawback is you have to hack the xml config file as the webui
is totally crippled by BT.

All in all a very good phone, the hands free mode is the
loudest/clearest/echo free phone i've ever had.

Bails