[asterisk-users] wireless VOIP phone recommendations?

Michael Graves mgraves at mstvp.com
Tue Feb 5 10:02:32 CST 2008

>> However, in general, none of the true Wi-Fi phones we've tested other
>> than the Nokia E series have been worth mucking with. Dropping off APs,
>> poor NAT capability, low battery life, troublesome configurations,
>> random weirdness -- these seem to abound in the world of wi-fi SIP. This
>> is why the usual scenario for any sort of office-wide deployment
>> involves DECT.

My early experiments with wifi handhelds were not good. I might
reevaluate based on some of the new dual mode phones from Nokia and
RIM.

Earlier this month I installed a set of the new Snom M3 SIP/DECT
phones. I have two handsets and one base. While not cheap these are
far, far better than any wifi phone I've ever used. I'm told that the
Siemens VOIP capable models are cheaper and also very good .

A full length review of the M3 will appear on www.smallnetbuilder.com
in a few weeks.

Michael Graves

--