[asterisk-users] Enterprise or Fedora?

Alan WN Hanley a_hanley at optusnet.com.au
Sun Feb 3 17:08:39 CST 2008

Hi All,
Just to throw in my 2 cents worth, I have been evaluating most of the
'big' distro's for my Asterisk platform and since I've used almost all
of them I kept the pre-requisites to these standard options.

1. Package management - easy to administer, easy to upgrade and include
development packages
2. System stability - Gotta be rock solid
3. Proprietary Code - It must be all open source
4. Standards Compliant

With a lot of testing, compiling and downloading I came to the
conclusion that the winner was Debian 'Etch'

Reason:

1. Apt - The best package management system ever.
2. Rock solid platform, my other Debian servers have been running for
years (and so have my CentOS servers so I'm not being biased)
3. The software is all open source.
4. I have a requirement for H323 in the vast majority of my asterisk
boxes and it compiles brilliantly with Etch
5. 1 CD install - The Net-Install CD makes things neat
6. Slow release cycle  and easy upgrade to latest version once released.

CentOS came a very close second however it was the apt difference that
clinched it for Debian. I would have went Ubuntu instead of Debian
however the packages are not quite as concise and I'm still not sure on
the whole 'sudo' method of security, its great for a desktop but the
jury is still out on a server.

Regards,
Alan