[asterisk-users] Multiple SIP phones behind a Linksys firewall

Chris Bagnall lists at minotaur.cc
Sun Feb 3 05:23:50 CST 2008

> My main problem is when I have two phones at the home office, the second
> phone cant register, and/or, you cant here the voicemail greeting when you
> try to check messages.

I have seen this before on badly behaved home routers that have a hidden SIP Proxy, notably Zyxel wireless units. I've not seen it happening on either Linksys or Netgear units though.

Do you actually need STUN? In my experience it can cause more problems than it solves, especially if the public IP changes and the STUN server isn't due to be queried for another X seconds. If possible, and assuming it won't create unreasonable load on your * server, try dropping the registration interval down to something small like 300 (5 minutes), and disable STUN entirely (obviously making sure nat=yes is defined in sip.conf for those devices).

Regards,

Chris
For full contact details visit http://www.minotaur.it