[asterisk-users] IMAP Voicemail and Directory not working?

sean darcy seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 10:15:54 CST 2008

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 10:13 AM, Noah Miller <noahisaacmiller at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Tzafrir -
>
>>> I'm wondering if anybody has IMAP Voicemail AND the directory working
>>> together.  I haven't had any success.  IMAP voicemail works fine, but
>>> when it's active, the Directory does not work.  The problem seems to
>>> be with libc-client.  Specifically, asterisk is not able to access the
>>> mm_dlog function.
>>>
>>> I've tried with Asterisk 1.4.22+ and 1.6.0+ using CentOS 5.2, Ubuntu
>>> 8.10 and Fedora 9.  In each case, I used the native package manager to
>>> install libc-client, and in each case, after asterisk is compiled and
>>> voicemail users are configured, I get an error in the log that says
>>> this:
>>
>> On Ubuntu and Debian (Lenny/Sid) -
>>
>>  apt-get source asterisk
>>  # as root / using sudo:
>>  apt-get build-dep asterisk
>>  cd asterisk-1<tab><tab>
>>  ASTERISK_NO_DOCS=yes fakeroot debian/rules build
>>
>> Does it build? If so, you have a similar version of Asterisk that builds
>> with IMAP support.
>
> I finally got this to work.  For some reason, none of the packaged
> versions of libc-client from any of the distributions I tried support
> mm_dlog, which is required by the Directory app.  I ended up compiling
> from uw-imap's source on Ubuntu, and that worked right away.  On the
> Red Hat varieties, compiling from source worked, but I had to specify
> -fPIC and a few other compiler flags when building UW's c-client.
>
> For the record, if anybody needs to do this on a redhat platform:
>
> 1. Download imap-2007e (or latest version) from
> ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/imap/
> 2. Unpack and compile with a make command like:
>
>     make <platform> SSLTYPE=none EXTRACFLAGS="-DIGNORE_LOCK_EACCES_ERRORS=1 \
>     -I/usr/include/openssl -fPIC -fno-strict-aliasing -Wall
> -Wno-pointer-sign -Wno-parentheses"
>
>      (See the Makefile for a list of platforms - I used 'lr5' for CentOS 5.2)
>
> 3. In the asterisk source, run the configure script with the imap flag:
>
>    ./configure --with-imap=/path/to/imap-source
>
>      (use the base directory of the imap source - e.g. /usr/src/imap-2007e )
>
> 4. Run "make menuselect" for asterisk and select "IMAP_STORAGE" from
> the Voicemail Build Options.
>

> Of course, you'll also need an appropriately configured IMAP server
> (for CentOS, I recommend their default choice of Dovecot).
>

> - Noah

Very interesting. I tried this with 1.6.1-beta4 on Fedora 9. On
startup, asterisk looks in the --with-imap folder which has just a
static lib, but not a shared lib. The static lib can be installed with
the  uw-imap-static rpm. But even if the static lib is installed,
asterisk chooses the shared lib over the static lib.

So...something about how Fedora builds the shared lib screws it up. I
looked at the spec file, but couldn't see anything. Does any distro
have a shared lib that works?

And asterisk should only use the static lib even if the shared lib is
available - or at least have a configure switch that requires the
static lib.

sean

sean

sean