[asterisk-users] Increase DTMF Tone Duration

Andres andres at telesip.net
Fri Dec 19 09:22:10 CST 2008

>I suspect you have a DTMF mode mismatch.  If Asterisk is expecting
>RFC2833 or INFO DTMF and the phones are sending inband DTMF then
>Asterisk won't detect it and won't regenerate the DTMF (and so
>toneduration would have no effect).

Unfortunately this is not the case.  The issue only happens with certain
IVRs and we have a analyer in the PRI link that clearly shows the
correct DTMF tones being sent.  The problem is simply the duration is
too short (120ms), and the remote IVR seems to not detect them when they
are that short.  If I press the digits longer (180ms), it works fine.

>In Asterisk 1.4 and later there are some DTMF debug options, as well as
>SIP and RTP debug options.  You should start out by making sure that
>Asterisk is detecting the tones as DTMF and not simply passing the raw
>audio thru.
>
>I don't know what specific DTMF and RTP debug commands are in 1.4+ (you
>should be able to look them up in the CLI), as my customers have chosen
>to skip 1.4 and go directly to 1.6 once they have become comfortable
>with it.

Thats right.  The CLI (when you have dtmf defined in logger.conf), will
also show the correct DTMF tones being detected and sent.

>Good luck with this.  DTMF issues can be hell to diagnose and fix sometimes.

I went into the code on channel.c and added a
'ast_safe_sleep(chan,100);' before the tone was being ended and it
worked like a charm.  Now we can send DTMF tones to those IVRs and they
are working 100% of the time.

Thanks,
Andres,
http://www.telesip.net