[asterisk-users] Dial timeout with SIP - how to set timeout for INVITE ACK

SIP sip at arcdiv.com
Thu Dec 18 12:13:46 CST 2008

Julien Chavanton wrote:
> >So why not use 30 and let Asterisk take care of the SIP details/
> >timeouts?
>
> Asterisk will wait the until it receive "answer" or timeout
>
> I need to timeout a SIP call on SIP INVITE ACK, in ISDN for exmaple
> this is translated to PROCEEDING
> Meaning "I have received the call, now I will look what to do with it"
>
> The result with the suggested timeout is not good enought, you may
> wait for the whole timeout even if the other side as not sent
> anything, this will be the case for all your calls, depending on the
> timeout this would be killing the traffic.

It sounds as though you want the result of the SIP INVITE (looking for,
say, a provisional 1XX response) and want the timeout to be set for
whether or not you receive the provisional response in time?  i.e. You
want to know if the remote address/proxy is up and running before you
bother trying to wait on it for very long. Is this right? Or am I
missing the point of the question?

N.