[asterisk-users] Alcatel OXE + Asterisk as external IVR

Olivier oza-4h07 at myamail.com
Wed Dec 17 04:52:09 CST 2008

2008/12/17 Artifex Maximus <artifexor at gmail.com>

> Hi all!
>
> Is anyone using the $subject setup?
>
> What I would like to do the following setup:
> 1. OXE is setup for receiving calls, handling Agents
> 2. Asterisk as external IVR on extension 9xxx connected with ISDN (Q.931)
> PRI
>
> The incoming calling route:
> 1. OXE handles incoming calls, answer
> 2. Transfer to extension 9xxx
> 3. Asterisk answer (using one channel)
> 4. IVR is handling calls
> 5. If needed IVR transfer back to specified Pilot in OXE with Dial
> (using two channels)
> 6. Asterisk hangup (free both channels)
> 7. OXE connect the PSTN incoming line with Pilot as extension transfer does
>
> I've talked with support person at Alcatel and he said that Q.931
> cannot handle this situation because after calls "leave" OXE it does
> not know anything so I cannot hangup in Asterisk and call will use two
> channel. Is it right? He said that ABCF2 or Q.SIG is able handling
> this situation because Q.SIG is an extension to Q.931. I take some
> search on topic and find out that Asterisk's Q.SIG not fully
> implemented. Is Asterisk implementation enough for this kind of setup?
>
> I am using Asterisk 1.6.0.3-rc1 with dahdi-*-2.1.0 on Ubuntu Server 8.10.
>
> Thanks,
> Zsolt

Hi,

What is needed is that the Asterisk box should either :
- forward incoming call to the right endpoint, using a single channel,
- open a second channel and remain in media path till it ends.

I'm not an authority on this topic, but I would say that, as OXE and
asterisk are connected through an E1/T1 link,
- you must upgrade OXE and Asterisk to Q.SIG to get forwarding option (and
check asterisk's QSIG supports Call Deflection),
- casual PRI is enough if you stick with 2 channels option.

If you don't expect to get more than 15 (or 12) calls at a time, I don't see
any real downside to use option 2.