[asterisk-users] Asterisk / Hylafax

Atis Lezdins atis at iq-labs.net
Tue Dec 16 06:25:18 CST 2008

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 1:01 PM, Michael <michael at networkstuff.co.nz> wrote:

>> This path will not work. As You mentioned, * supports T38 path through
>> only. In Your setup there will be a conversion on the * box between T38
>> via SIP provider and IAX (which uses G711 codec in this case).
>>
>> To make it work, use newer versions of t38modem and replace the iaxmodem
>> with it. Newer versions of t38modem supports SIP, so that Your path will
>> be
>> PSTN => T.38 aware SIP provider => Internet => My machine (Asterisk) =>
>> T38-modem on localhost => Hylafax.
>
> I am using t38 modem 1.0.0, which AFAIK is the latest.
>
> I have also tried the t38 method (as documented on voip-info using opal and
> pwlib) and have not been able to get this to work. As a side when I start the
> t38 modem it complains it can find libavcodec, which is on my machine. I
> don't know if this is material or not?
>
> Michael

Hi Michael,

I just saw your topic on -dev (which is not appropriate there) and it
reminded me to write a reply to this post (i've marked it for reply
anyway :).

The directions at voip-info.org are originally written by me, i spent
lot of hours searching mailing lists etc to get at least something
working. So, the question is - how far did you get with this. With
this setup you should be able to do:

Hylafax => T38modem => Asterisk => T38modem => Hylafax.

That would be a verification for setup, that you should have
everything working.

Then you would want to test it with switch of SIP provider to see if
it understands T38modem (as in quoted diagram).

Unfortunately i didn't manage to get T38modem to understand switch of
our provider, so i quickly tested with callweaver, and ended up with:

PSTN => T.38 SIP provider => Internet => Asterisk => Callweaver =>
custom scripts => Hylafax.

In my setup everything is located on the same machine and Callweaver
runs smoothly together with asterisk on different ports. You should be
able to do the same as Callweaver does with Asterisk 1.6 (if you're
not bound to 1.4 setup)

Recently i also posted some rough configuration sample of my setup on
http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2008-November/222531.html

Please mind, that if you're trying T38modem, you should get versions
exactly as specified in voip-info.org, otherwise they might not work
with Opal (which adds SIP protocol, as T38modem was originally for
H.323)

Regards,
Atis

--