[asterisk-users] Country numbering plan resources

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Sat Dec 13 00:42:25 CST 2008

Michael wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 19:29:23 you wrote:
>> Alex Balashov wrote:
>>> You'd be cutting into the revenue stream of folks like Telcordia, CCMI,
>>> etc.
>> ... which, of course, there's nothing wrong with.  Just be prepared to
>> witness the awesome power of their fully operational legal battlestation.
>
> This is OTTP (Over the top paranoia)
>
> I am talking about information gained from people resident in the various
> countries.

I understand.  The problem is that such information is useless and an
almost entirely pointless waste of time because in all but the simplest
of scenarios (like the kind you mention in Australia and NZ) ordinary
people do not have this information, or the information is applicable to
them only and not of much intersubjective value.  It is exceptionally
rare to find a country with just a handful of prefixes, especially
outside of the Third World.

So, the information would have to come from official sources to be
comprehensive.  That's problem one.

Problem two was summarised by the poster "SIP":  "I'm not sure I can see
the value of a community-driven effort to keep track of things which, by
nature, are not applicable to everyone in the community, as we all have
our own contracts with our own providers and our own set of rates based
on our own conditions of traffic."

In other words, whereas the distinction between a fixed and mobile call
may be of importance in *your* particular pricing arrangements with your
suppliers, other people have all sorts of different arrangements.  There
are blended rates for everything, blended rates for some things, decked
rates for some things and blended for others, decked rates by LATA,
decked rates by carrier, etc, etc, etc.  I'm sure there are rate decks
by hemisphere, rate decks by how many goats you are prepared to ritually
sacrifice as tribute to ITSP, etc.  So, the distinction useful to you in
your rating process is not necessarily useful to others, or even a
critical mass of others.

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems