[asterisk-users] CDR Design

Steve Murphy murf at digium.com
Fri Dec 5 14:24:08 CST 2008

On Fri, 2008-12-05 at 10:52 +0000, Andrew Thomas wrote:
> Thanks for this Greyman - it's all beginning to make sense now ;).
>
> I agree that the 'loss of CDR upon txfr' is a nasty bug which does need
> to be addressed before anything else (assuming it hasn't been already).
>
> But, wouldn't it be better if you could ignore the CDR's completely and
> use an event based system?  This would give you ALL the information you
> need.  All that remains is to filter out the un-required bits.
>
> Like I said earlier - the CDR's aren't reliable enough for a billing
> platform (as you've rightly pointed out) but are OK for very basic call
> logging (something the customer can look at).
>
> Hopefully, the murf'ster will chirp in here :).

I'll Chirp here. I'm kinda impressed with the number of CDR Design
messages in the Q since last I checked, but I'll try to plow my
way thru them. I've been ruminating over Greyman's suggestion about
simplified CDR's for the past few days, stepped outside my 'box', and
I think realized what he actually was asking for, at last.

As to the event system, say no more. CEL is it. It will spew out
all possible CDR related events in any of several formats, in somewhat
real-time (as they occur) order. The state of the channels are included
with the time of each event.

But, this alone isn't really useful in a database. Try coming up with
SQL queries that tell you useful things about what's happened,
or happening... CDR format is useful that way; and, like Brian,
yes, you can mix the two to your heart's content, even add manager
events to the mix.

murf