[asterisk-users] CDR Design

Steve Murphy murf at digium.com
Fri Dec 5 14:16:19 CST 2008

On Fri, 2008-12-05 at 13:39 +0200, regs at kinetix.gr wrote:
> Quote : "Like I said earlier - the CDR's aren't
> reliable enough for a billing platform (as you've
> rightly pointed out) but are OK for very basic call
> logging (something the customer can look at)."
>
> I couldn't disagree more. The CDRs is the MOST reliable
> source for billing purposes (in postpaid mode that is -
> for prepaid you have to use something else (although
> even then the CDRs can be helpful for consistency checks)).
>
> Other alternatives (e.g. radius) could not give you
> the same level of consistency as the CDRs (although better
> than other implementations because the gateway retries
> to send the packet many times before giving up). What would
> happen if your radius server was overloaded and could
> not process accounting packets for a few secs/mins/hours?
> What would happen if the network is down (and the event
> processing handler is in another box)?
> All these calls would be lost. This can rarely be seen
> with CDRs logging. Because, whatever might happen you can
> always count on them to rectify the situation.
>
> I think the same can be said about other event based
> billing setups. The gateway itself cannot (and shouldn't
> really) be aware if the event was successfully processed by
> the handling back-end so you end up with inconsistent data
> and lost calls.
>
> Now, a combination of the two (e.g. radius+CDRs) can cover
> all the possible gone-wrong scenarios. But in order for that
> to work you need all the detailing you can get in the CDR.
>
> If ,however, you don't want to load your gateway with complex
> CDRs you could entirely turn them off (or parts of it e.g. b-leg
> logging, log only a few details etc).

Well, if we spec some options, and it doesn't get *too* out of control,
we can spell out a few different scenarios for the generated CDR's.
Greyman's just wanting to know how long A was connected, how long B,
etc, is an entirely different approach than spelling out each leg.
Dropping stuff like HOLD and PARKING is possible, too.