[asterisk-users] Using DECT phones as SIP phones?

SIP sip at arcdiv.com
Fri Dec 5 11:05:10 CST 2008

Fred Posner wrote:

> On Dec 5, 2008, at 11:31 AM, Michael Graves wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 10:59:54 -0500, Neil Fusillo wrote:
>>
>>> Michael,
>>>
>>> Was there something particularly special you had to do to get your M3 to
>>> work? I'm now on my second one from E4 Technologies (from whom I'm still
>>> waiting for a return service call), and both of them, after following
>>> the instructions in the manual, have the same problem.
>>>
>>> Neither one will pick up an IP from DHCP.  If I set a static IP with the
>>> handset (which pairs to the base just fine), I can then ping them when
>>> they boot, but the web configuration service is unavailable (nothing
>>> running on port 80, as if it never gets through the boot process).
>>>
>>> Hitting the up volume button on the phone gives me info of an
>>> ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff mac accress, no IP (with DHCP) or the static I've put
>>> in, and a Boot Status of 'Failed'
>>>
>>> Was there a trick to getting these running? I've done a factory reset.
>>> I've tried different cables. Different switches. Now different handsets
>>> and base stations. Nothing. Same message every time.
>>
>>> Did you run into anything similar, or am I just lucky?
>>
>> I had no such troubles. Just plugged in and went. What firmware release
>> does it have? Mine were v1.22 just the other day when I checked, but I
>> have it set to D/L the current beta automatically once a day.
>>
>> Michael
>> --
>
> Mine automatically updated as soon as it got an IP address. (default
> setting)

That seems to be the core problem. Neither of mine ever seemed to get IP
addresses. And even setting it as a static IP makes it pingable, but
nothing else in its networking stack seems to run and it can't update.

Two duds in a row, though... I was thinking it might be user error (as
I'm sure the supplier is thinking). However, I don't APPEAR to be doing
anything wrong as far as I can tell (and network/voip hardware is hardly
new to me).

N.