[asterisk-users] Packet size limit for HDLC?

Roger Schreiter roger at planinternet.de
Thu Dec 4 16:35:24 CST 2008

Eric \"ManxPower\" Wieling schrieb:
> ICMP is used to determine maximim packet size.  If you or the other end
> are blocking all ICMP then MTU Path Discovery will not work.  It's a

Hi,

the problem is, the other side (ISDN-router) does not negotiate
the MTU while setting up PPP. I can see this in the log file:
Our side is proposing 296, but the other answers with NACK and
tells 296.

I think, my side is doing something according RFC, when proposing
a smaller MTU than usual, but this does not solve my problem,
because:

> More info: http://www.znep.com/~marcs/mtu/

A MTU of 1500 is typical for PPP over HDLC, and when my solution
does not do, what is typical, it is not compatible enough.

Now I want bring asterisk and app_pppd also to work with a MTU of
1500 (like native linux ippp also does).

I want to understand, why PPP via asterisk is failing, when
MTU is 1500.

Regards,
Roger.