[asterisk-users] cepstral vs festival

John Todd jtodd at digium.com
Tue Dec 2 17:09:22 CST 2008

On Dec 2, 2008, at 9:41 AM, Erik (Caneris) wrote:

> Festival sucks. Cepstral sucks less. The End.
>
> In my experience, it depends on the specific app, who's paying, and
> who's going to be the victim, err...user listening to it. This is
> the difference between domain/context specific phrases/words to
> pronounce vs. general stuff, a client on a tight budget or not, the
> users being internal vs. customers/public, and so on.
>
> Cepstral is a $30 TTS engine. It's not too bad, but you'll find
> mostly things like Realspeak deployed in large scale "professional"
> deployments, such as those used by the "big boys", telcos/banks/
> airlines. We deployed Cepstral recently for a client, for a phone-in
> service used by the general public, and I can tell you that there
> was quite a bit of work in "teaching" it with SSML how to pronounce
> stuff.
>
> Again, it really depends on your specific situation. You should
> definitely try out those two at least and also ensure that the
> client/stakeholders are aware of limitations. There's a certain
> expectation of "it will speak perfectly" these days, followed by
> disappointment and blame when reality hits them.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Erik
> Caneris
> Tel: 647-723-6365
> Fax: 647-723-5365
> Toll-free: 1-866-827-0021
> www.caneris.com

Erik -
   Have you found RealSpeak to be worth the cost?  Can Cepstral, with
the hourly $ spent on tuning, be made to be a reasonable substitute?
It's been a while since I did a head-to-head comparison between
Cepstral and (anything else) so I did a quick demo of the RealSpeak
Host-based telecom app:

   http://www.nuance.com/realspeak/demo/  (contact data required)

and the Cepstral demo:

   http://www.cepstral.com/demos/

I used the "Jill (default - 8khz)" for RealSpeak and "Allison
(default)" for the tests, and played back the same phrase:

   "Congratulations. You have successfully installed and executed the
Asterisk open source PBX."

My results: The RealSpeak sample was more clear than the Cepstral.
But by how much?  I should probably test with more than just that one
phrase, but I can't say I'd prefer RealSpeak significantly over
Cepstral in this extremely limited case.  Does RealSpeak get better
long-term test results and comprehension/retention?  I know that
Cepstral is $50/port - the RealSpeak pricing is un-findable, which
tells me that it's significantly higher than Cepstral.  (Personal
peeve: at least put your list pricing on the website! <grumble>)

That being said, I'd really be interested in hearing if anyone has
done a RealSpeak-to-Asterisk conduit.  I wasn't able to quickly
uncover how they interact with third-party systems - is it VoIP?  A C
library?  Some sort of HTTP socket?  The more methods we can get
working with Asterisk, the better, because not every implementation of
a voice system has the same requirements...

JT

---
John Todd
jtodd at digium.com        +1-256-428-6083