[asterisk-users] cepstral vs festival

Erik (Caneris) erik_list at caneris.com
Tue Dec 2 09:41:32 CST 2008

Festival sucks. Cepstral sucks less. The End.

In my experience, it depends on the specific app, who's paying, and who's going to be the victim, err...user listening to it. This is the difference between domain/context specific phrases/words to pronounce vs. general stuff, a client on a tight budget or not, the users being internal vs. customers/public, and so on.

Cepstral is a $30 TTS engine. It's not too bad, but you'll find mostly things like Realspeak deployed in large scale "professional" deployments, such as those used by the "big boys", telcos/banks/airlines. We deployed Cepstral recently for a client, for a phone-in service used by the general public, and I can tell you that there was quite a bit of work in "teaching" it with SSML how to pronounce stuff.

Again, it really depends on your specific situation. You should definitely try out those two at least and also ensure that the client/stakeholders are aware of limitations. There's a certain expectation of "it will speak perfectly" these days, followed by disappointment and blame when reality hits them.

Regards,
--
Erik
Caneris