[asterisk-users] Difference between DAHDI/G1/0123456789 and DAHDI/g1/0123456789

Dave Fullerton dfullertasterisk at shorelinecontainer.com
Mon Dec 1 11:52:30 CST 2008

Olivier wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Groups in asterisk are summarized here (
> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Channels+and+Groups).
> Is there any difference between DAHDI/G1/0123456789 and DAHDI/g1/0123456789
> (as I've been advised in another thread, to switch from one notation to the
> other and I can't see the reason behind that) ?
>

> Regards

Assuming nothing has changed from Zaptel to DAHDI, the difference can
found here:

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+ZAP+channels

Basically, the lowercase g chooses the lowest number available channel
from the group where the uppercase G chooses the highest number
available channel. This is used to reduce glare on analog or T1
(non-PRI) channels that are part of a hunt group.

-Dave