[asterisk-users] Is using dahdi_genconf_parameters recommended to configure dahdi ?

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Mon Dec 1 03:11:10 CST 2008

On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 at 09:12:31AM +0100, Olivier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just discovered that dahdi_genconf could create configuration files
> reading a single genconf_parameter file.
>
> 1. Is using dahdi_genconf recommended to configure dahdi or is it a helpful
> tool for specific devices or installation processes ?

A helpful tool.

Though my opinion is that for the common cases (analog-only systems,
BRI, simple PRI setups) you should just use it and save yourself the
need to configure two and more different places.

I would like to know where it has bad defaults and where it could be
improved.

> 2. If not, is there a custom mecanism that would prevent hand-edited files
> to be written over by dahdi_genconf (you can obviously remove execution
> rights to dahdi_genconf but is there something better) ?

dahdi_genconf is not run automaitcally as part of the installation
procedure and should not be run automatically IMHO.

(Int also generates a .bak file for every file it generates. But this is
only useful when you run it once)

> If yes, is it normal that /etc/dahdi wouldn't contain any example of
> genconf_parameter file (in my setup, I could find one in
> /usr/src/dahdi/tools/xpp/ but none in /etc/dahdi) or did I miss a step when
> I installed dahdi or asterisk ?

The parameters files is optional. I'm not sure I like installing sample
configuration files that later on get obsolete. But documentation there
is still badly missing.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com