[asterisk-users] Wi-SIP & 802.11f - Inter Access Point Protocol HANDOFF

Duncan Turnbull duncan at e-simple.co.nz
Sun Aug 31 05:07:32 CDT 2008

Its not so hard if the APs are purely just converting ethernet to
wireless. If there is any authing on the AP then it would be tougher.
And a centralised DHCP issuer is important i.e. just one address range
across all APs so when moving APs there is no dhcp change, no auth
change, just a client reconnecting to the SSID. I guess this is not
exactly what you are talking about but organising such protocols to work
properly does become much more complex, and no we didn't have so much
joy that way.

We have a wireless ISP in Wellington, New Zealand called CafeNET and
thats all the APs do i.e. wireless to ethernet for large zones of the
city homed back to a central controller. I have walked along our main
central city street, Lambton Quay and carried on a conversation moving
between at least 3 APs. I usually walked about 200 - 350m  depending my
destination so could be using quite a few APs

The asterisk box in question is not blocked by the ISP.

Driving is different, but walking is okay, and the street noise masks
the other occasional glitches, so I may think its doing better than it
is, it can be noisy and hard to hear in any event with a mobile as well.

I don't do it so much any more because the cellphone charges got lower
and I got tired of two devices, especially one that ran out of
batteries. But I did for a few months to prove the point you are asking
about.

Cheers Duncan