[asterisk-users] Wi-SIP & 802.11f - Inter Access Point Protocol HANDOFF

Michael Graves mgraves at mstvp.com
Sat Aug 30 12:08:43 CDT 2008

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 11:51:49 -0500, Karl Fife wrote:

>Has anyone ever really, truly, actually held on to a Wi-SIP call while
>moving from the range of one AP to the range of another AP in the same
>network?
>
>Let's say a 'YES' only counts if you had a bona-fide handoff.  In other
>words, you began in place 'A' (within range of AP#1 but OUTSIDE the
>range of AP#2), AND THEN MOVED to place 'B' (in range of AP#2, but
>completely outside the range of AP#1) WITYOUT dropping the call.
>
>Supposedly it's possible with compliant hardware using 802.11f -
>Inter-Access Point Protocol (IAPP), but given how ALL standards ALWAYS
>work together PERFECTLY, 100% of the time :-), I'm guessing that it
>doesn't work.  Can anyone speak to this from experience?
>
>-Karl

Karl,

I'm guessing that it was not common. 802.11f handoffs reportedly take
100ms which is considered too long for streaming applications like
voice and video.

The 802.11r standard was only agreed upon and released days ago. This
specifies FAST BSS transition specifically to saisfy such applications.
Not sure if any hardware supports this as yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11r

Michael
--
Michael Graves