[asterisk-users] Zap channel DTMF regeneration

drtester at netzero.net drtester at netzero.net
Fri Aug 29 20:49:32 CDT 2008

I've got a problem that I hope someone here can shed some light on.

It seems that in any calls going over Zap channels (either with a FXO card or PRI card),
inbound audio is constantly monitored for DTMF tones, and then these tones are
regenerated back in the audio stream either within * if the endpoint is set for inband
dtmfmode, or sent out-of-band for the endpoint to regenerate.

I have two applications where this has disasterous results:
  1. Connecting to another system that does a lot of DTMF signaling
  2. Trying to use an iaxmodem and hylafax to receive faxes.

The DTMF detection code easily falses and at least mutes the audio.

I realize there are certain things (like the IVR) that require the DTMF detection; but on
calls from the zap channel to an endpoint, I can't have it muting the audio, and
potentially regenerating the tones.  Perhaps this could be configurable per extension
entry?

I think I recall seeing something that looked for the fax initial tone, and would at
least disable any echo cancellation - does that also disable DTMF regeneration?

I appreciate any help or pointers!

Joe